Tuesday, October 1, 2013

I'm getting baptized!

Several times over the past few months, I've thought about the idea of getting baptized. My parents had me baptized when I was a child in the Presbyterian church, but since becoming a part of a non-denominational church, I've thought about making my own public profession of faith. Like many people do, I held off because I didn't think I was ready. I didn't want to go public with my faith because I'm not a perfect example of Christianity. But guess what? No one is. 

After conversations with some people in my life, I realized that baptism isn't about being the perfect Christian. It's a public profession of faith, and it's allowing God to leverage your story to reach people. That's the main reason I want to get baptized - because God can use my story in my city to reach my peers.

My walk with Christ since I prayed the prayer to accept Jesus into my heart when I was very young hasn't been without roadblocks or detours. Straying, being inconsistent, and running from the Lord are huge components to my story. I'm going to be sharing my story with a whole lot of people, and that's nerve wracking. But then I think about those 1000 individuals who will be in the room when I tell my story. I think about the people among that group who have similar stories to tell who need to hear that someone else has struggled with the same things and found redemption in Christ. That's a huge part of why I'm getting baptized.

The greatest thing is that while I'm still a sinner, Christ already died to save me from my sins. His love has won. I'm forgiven. I'm redeemed. He has washed away my sins with His blood.

That's something to celebrate.

If you would like to celebrate with me as I go public with my faith in Jesus Christ, join me at Athens Church on Sunday, October 13 at the 10:30 service. I'm so excited to share what Jesus has done and continues to do in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment