Friday, April 5, 2013

Being genuine is underrated.

In the world in which we live, being genuine is underrated.

It's not "cool" to disclose your true feelings, your fears, and your baggage to other people. We put up walls, keep up facades, and let very few people see the deepest parts of our hearts. Our problems are labeled as "baggage," and in this world, no one wants baggage. But guess what? We all have it. The people whose problems are public? You know they have it. But the people you think are perfect? They have it, too.

Being genuine wasn't important to me until my life got to the point where I realized I couldn't carry the burden of guilt over past mistakes and failures alone.

I realized that first and foremost, I need Jesus. And secondly, I need people.

Earlier this semester at Athens Church, there was a sermon that had this main point: "Genuine confession leads to genuine change."

And how true is that??

I think we (at least I...) try to deal with our sins in any way but actually confessing them. God knows our true selves, He knows the darkest, worst parts of our hearts, and we know He does, but somehow admitting our biggest faults to Him is daunting. 

To me, what's more scary than confessing to God is admitting my biggest faults and confessing my sins and sharing my true feelings with other people. I think that's because I know that God loves me unconditionally, and I can really only hope that people do. I've definitely struggled with being genuine with people and exposing my issues, my faults, my burdens, and my past, because honestly, we're all afraid of being known and being rejected. We're all afraid that we're not "good enough." But such a weight gets lifted when I talk to other people about my sins, because then I don't have to carry it alone. There's that old adage that goes, "Don't air your dirty laundry..." but if you don't talk to someone about it, you're never going to feel like you can get that laundry clean.

James 5:16 says, "Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed."

I've found that the only way healing from the burden of guilt and shame comes is through confession - to God and to people. Then when you confess to others, they confess to you, and you begin a cycle of genuinely relating to other people... that's community, and that's what we need!

So I leave you with this: one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite artists... "The Feeling" by Ben Rector. I always think of this song when I'm struggling to talk to other people about things going on in my life, because it basically says that although we all have different struggles, everyone's feelings are the same, so we shouldn't be carrying them alone.


And with that, happy Friday and happy weekend! Have a blessed day!

No comments:

Post a Comment